Many users have encountered this Windows Update Error Code 0x800f0988 when they were trying to update their existing Build OS. This Windows Update Error 0x800f0988 is generally caused by corrupt system files. In this article, we discuss the reason of this windows update error code 0x800f0988 and also the solutions to fix this windows 10 update error 0x800f0988.
Error Code 0x800f0988 Returns With Following Error
Error 0x800f0988 Windows 11.
0x800f0988 Windows Update Error 2021.
Windows Update Failed with Error 0x800f0988.
Reasons of Windows Update Error Code 0x800f0988
- Corrupted Windows update components
- No spaces left inside the Win SxS folder
- Missing or damaged system files
- Incorrect Date & Time
[KB9199277] – Solutions to fix the Windows 10 Update Error 0x800f0988
Clean up the Win SXS folder
- Firstly, open the Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
- After that, type the following command and click enter
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
- Finally, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Firstly, open the troubleshoot option in the Windows search box
- After that, click Troubleshoot settings and Select the Additional troubleshooter’s option
- Next, click on Windows Update and then press the button Run the troubleshooter
Reset Windows Update Components
- Firstly, open the command prompt and Run as Administrator
- After that, type the following commands and press enter
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
Reset Windows 10 to Fix Windows Update Error 0x800f0988
- Firstly, click on the Start button and type Reset this PC
- After that, locate the result from the list and then open it
- Next, go to the right pane, click the Get Started button under the Recovery tab
- On the next screen, click Keep my Files followed by Next
- Now hit the Reset to confirm to get the process the start
- Finally, restart your PC to set the changes
At last, follow the above explained steps and restart your system services will ideally resume your updates to work. If you still need help to resolve this error code 0x800f0988, we suggest you to chat with our experts. I am sure they will help you resolve this issue completely. You can also visit our website for more details and information.